Thursday, November 10, 2011

Emerald Dusk

This is my first posting of my short story. I have a projet i call: A picture is not worth a thousand words.
A friend submitted this picture and a scince fiction theme to it. i started to write and this is chapter 1.

(note: This was suppsoe to be a small short story, but from what it looks like, i think it will be bigger.)




Chapter One: At War.


In 2050, the human population almost went extinct. World War three was short lived; however when the fourth broke out, it never finished. The world is not the same as it was before. One big accident happened during WWIII that they covered up. No one knows why but everything in the sky turned green. The sun never shined the bright way ever again. It looked like dawn or dusk all the time, with a sickening green look to everything. Soldiers were recruited as of the age of 18, whether you wanted to or not. Girls and boys alike were forced to go. As the years went by, the human population got smaller and smaller. The reason for this war was a mystery to the soldiers and their families.

My mother; Flow, my sister; Jade and my older brother Rory all lived together. My dad passed away in WWIII. Rory was the first one recruited to go to war 7 years ago. After promising to my mother he would write to her, we never got any news. Four months after he left we got a letter in the mail for the authorities that Rory was lost at war. It came with his sweater and dog tags. After that happened my mother got so scared of the day my sister and I turned 18 that we went into hiding. Our hiding place was not very good. The authorities found us after just two days. We were sent to the camps. The camps are where families with 15 years old children go until they turn 18. We made this place our home until it was time to move on.

“XANDER, GET UP!!”
I wake up to my mother shaking me franticly. Her screams are deathening. “MOM, what’s wrong?” From what I can see though our only small window, it’s still dark out. “Xander, you will be late if you don’t get ready”.  I get up from my bed on the floor and roll up my sleeping bag. Jade, my twin sister is already up and ready to go. She’s been ready since Rory left. My mother is pacing the floor with her arms crossed over her chest. I can tell she has something in her hands. It’s Rory’s dog tags. She has a sad, worried look on her face. Jade is looking at me like I’m the slowest person in the world. “If you are slow like that out there, you’ll die as soon as we get to where we are going; you’re like a fucking standing target” My mother shoots her a nasty look and my sister apologizes to my mother for swearing. I eat a bowl of hot oatmeal and get dressed. My mother and sister watch me. I feel them getting anxious so I hurry up. Before I know it, I’m hugging my mother goodbye and walking out the door with my sister. Little do I know this would be the last time I see my mother.

My name is Xander Steel; my twin sister and I turn 18 today. We are going to War.

1 comment: