Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Emerald Dusk - Chapter two: Crying out loud.

I turned around to look at my mother one more time. I had made the same promise as Brody. “I’ll write to you as soon as I can”. I don’t know when that will be but I will not break my promise. There were solders everywhere. The helicopters where making it very hard to hear the sergeant screaming at me. The line we are in starts to move fast and we all jog for the nearest cargo plane. Once on the plane and strapped in, I look out to my home. I see Flow standing there with Brody’s sweater held tightly in her arms. She must see us, because she starts waving at my sister and I. Jade turns to me: “Do you think mom will be o.k. alone?” I look at my sister and see that she is worried for our mother. ”She has been talking care of us since Dad died, she will be more than good with us out of her way, she can relax now.”  “Ya, we have been a lot to handle, I wish we would have made it easier on her”

Just then I heard a big crashing sound and the plane rocked back and forth. I could only see smoke and fire. The sergeant in charge of our group told us to keep a tight hold and that we would be out of the smoke in a few minutes. I tried not to breath in the smoke but all I could do was gasp for air as I tried to see what was blown up outside the plane. We got up high enough that the air around us cleared but we still could not see the town bellow us.  

I leaned back and relaxed a little. The plane stayed level and we stopped swaying. I started looking at the other recruits on board. There were 12 of us in total. Some looked terrified. One girl was sitting alone in a corner far away from everyone crying. Another boy is standing close to the ledge of the door looking down with a hopeless look on his face. Close to this boy is a girl, she looks like she’s making a run for the door. JADE!!! GET BACK HERE.”  She was running for the open cargo door in the back of the plane. Luckily the boy standing on the ledge caught her and pinned her down. Jade is frantic. She is kicking and screaming at the boy to let her go. I get to her and hold her on my arms tight: “What were you thinking, jumping out??? I thought you were ready for this. I though you wanted to go to war??”

“MOMMA!!!!!” Jade is clutching my back so hard I can hardly breathe. I don’t understand why she is freaking out. She always said she was ready. Why did she doubt herself now? Jade doesn’t stop fighting me: “let me go you fucking idiot, MOM!!!” She spits at my face and hits me in the ribs. I lose grip on her. She runs to the ledge and lies down on her stomach. Her head is hanging out the back of the plane as she cries out. My heart is torn as I look at my sister. She was so strong just a few minutes ago. Yet, she is not jumping out of the plane like I’m anticipating. “MOMMA!!!!!” Jade turns and looks at me. Her eyes a filled with tears. “XANDER, you fucking prick, this is all your fault. If you would have been smarter, you would have found us a better hiding spot and we would not have left mom, I HATE YOU. It’s all your fault” I start getting an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I make my way to my sister and kneel down. She starts to hit me again and throws a good punch straight at my face. I am amazed at her force and stumble to the floor with my head only inches from the opening. It took me a minute to realize and understand what I’m seeing.

I understood it all right then. My shitty hiding place, our home, is nothing more the rubble. This was all my fault. My mother just died and it was all my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment